There may be affiliate links in this post, but they have no impact on my writing. All opinions are my own.
I brainstormed a list of changes to help me prepare for baby 2 in a blog post (read it again HERE). Planning may be the starting motivation I need to go through a whole 9-10 months of pregnancy again!
One of the changes that will be toughest for me is body changes. So, I came up with 5 ways to prepare for body changes during pregnancy…
My belly will get big, my back will hurt, my feet will swell, my head will itch (just to name a few.) At least these are some of the body changes that took place during my first pregnancy…there is honestly no telling if my second pregnancy will be the same. The rule of thumb is every pregnancy is different!
A lot of changes are out of my control, but these are my ideas for what I can do before trying to conceive to help my body get ready for pregnancy:
- Cut back on alcohol and caffeine, drink more water! This is a hard one because I’ve enjoyed cocktails a lot this summer! But, alcohol and caffeine can make conception harder and is nothing but empty calories for me. I’m all about starting right now gradually cutting back on alcohol and caffeine, and drinking more water to stay hydrated.
- Eat more healthy food choices. I haven’t really paid attention to the types of food I’ve been eating lately, but I agree that providing my body with nutrients is very important before pregnancy. Stocking my fridge with fresh fruits and vegetables, eating foods high in calcium, and eating a variety of protein sources is what I’m committed to going forward. I need to say bye-bye to fried foods, saturated fat, and calories with no nutrients!
- Lose weight. This will go hand in hand with cutting back on drinking alcohol and eating more healthy foods. Aiming for a healthy weight will not only make conception easier, but may help pregnancy body changes feel less severe. I am right around the pre-pregnancy weight I was at before my first pregnancy, so I can’t help but wonder if starting at a lower pre-pregnancy weight will make it easier? I’m up for the challenge!
- Exercise more. This is another thing that will help compliment losing weight! My first pregnancy caused a lot of foot and back pain, so exercising more before my next pregnancy will make it easier to have a fit pregnancy. Since I don’t exercise much right now, I will ease into walking more and aim for 10-20 minutes a day. I will eventually work up to 30 minutes of moderate exercise with resistance training most days of the week. Bring it on! I also like front-carrying my daughter when I’m walking around, it’s like I’m practicing for the extra weight that will be there when my belly grows again.
- Visit my dermatologist. Yes, I want to see my dermatologist! The last few months of my first pregnancy my scalp itched very bad it was painful…I was not able to use any hair product of conditioner, I simply washed my hair daily with itchy relief head and shoulders. The shampoo really helped for immediate itch relief, but the itching was miserable. My daughter is almost 1 year old, and my itchy scalp has gotten better since giving birth, but it still gets itchy sometimes…so, I can’t help but wonder if it will be worse my next pregnancy or magically go away? Either way, I want to discuss with my dermatologist what I can do or what medication I can take during pregnancy (if any) to help alleviate an itchy scalp.
I definitely have a few plans to put in action now, wish me luck! Is there anything you would add to this list?